Safety & Health
The Raffinerie Heide culture is founded on safety
In the refinery industry, HSSEQ stands for health, safety, security, environment and quality, a term under which we categorise all our activities designed to protect n people and the environment. ‘Safety’ refers to both occupational safety and plant safety.
A key component of our actions to promote a safety culture are HSSEQ days, when we train all our employees and raise their awareness of issues relating to the continuous improvement of safety and environmental concerns.
Because many of our partner firms for project work are active on the plant site, their employees’ participation in the HSSEQ days forms part of those companies’ contractual obligations.
All refinery installations are regularly inspected and serviced, and undergo ‘TÜV shutdowns’ every five years, when over 1,000 specialists subject every unit to minute examination.
During our daily operations readings are taken at 30,000 measuring points to monitor all relevant points of the plant and ensure that everything is running perfectly. Meanwhile, a sophisticated alarm system immediately detects any deviations. All pipelines are also monitored electronically and, if a malfunction occurs, the monitoring equipment can identify and locate a leak within seconds and to an accuracy of just a few metres, even in the underground pipelines.
Health, occupational and plant safety
Our senior management team is committed to acting in a responsible and exemplary manner when it comes to health, safety and the environment and to serving as role models for all employees.
This role model function also applies to our demeanour with respect to local residents.We train our employees systematically and regularly on all relevant safety measures and our facilities are subjected to safety checks at specified intervals.
We consistently abide by the legal requirements on work, production and environmental safety in all divisions of the company and consider these the minimum standards to be followed.
Raffinerie Heide, from the Mission Statement
What should you do
if an incident occurs
As a company exposed to elevated risk we have a special duty to provide information in the event of an unfortunate incident. The safety of local residents is every bit as important to us as that of our employees.
A comprehensive brochure has been produced for our neighbours, providing information on what to do in an emergency.
Here is a brief overview of the most important points it covers:
Dates for inspections
Dates for inspections in accordance with
§ 16 Major Accidents Ordinance
According to the Major Accidents Ordinance, we are obliged to publish the dates of inspections by the State Mining Office for Mining, Energy and Geology (LBEG) and the State Office for Agriculture, Environment and Rural Areas (LLUR).
The following walk-throughs have taken place:
- 19.09.2022 LBEG Butane cavern of the Raffinerie Heide
- 26.04.2022 LLUR und other authorities Tank farm Brunsbüttel
- 20. and 21.04.2022 LLUR and other authorities Raffinerie Heide
- 21.10.2021 LBEG Butane cavern of the Raffinerie Heide
- 05.08.2021 LLUR Tank farm Brunsbüttel
- 09.03.2021 LLUR Raffinerie Heide
- 27.10.2020 LBEG Butane cavern of the Raffinerie Heide
- 21.10.2020 LLUR Tank farm Brunsbüttel
- 11. und 12.03.2020 LLUR Raffinerie Heide
- 23.10.2019 LLUR Raffinerie Heide
- 19.06.2019 LBEG Butane cavern of the Raffinerie Heide
- 25.04.2019 LLUR Tank farm Brunsbüttel
- 18. und 19.09.2018 LLUR Raffinerie Heide
- 26.06.2018 LBEG Butan cavern of the Raffinerie Heide
- 25.04.2018 LLUR Tank farm Brunsbüttel
- 11. und 12.09.2017 LLUR Raffinerie Heide
- 29.06.2017 LBEG Butan cavern of the Raffinerie Heide
- 16.05.2017 LLUR Tank farm Brunsbüttel