Raffinerie Heide is a mobility and heating supply partner for northern Germany and is Germany’s northernmost crude oil refinery.
Mineral oil has a long tradition in the German federal state of Schleswig-Holstein, and in the district of Dithmarschen in particular. After all, oil chalk and crude oil have been extracted and refined here on the North Sea coast for more than 150 years. Each year, Raffinerie Heide processes more than four million tonnes of crude oil at its 134-hectare site in Hemmingstedt.
Meanwhile an outstanding proportion of the petrol and diesel fuel consumed in Schleswig-Holstein nowadays comes from our oil refinery, which in its present form has been part of the Klesch Group since 2010 – but the company’s history began well before this.
Raffinerie Heide as a crude oil refinery and chemicals company
Our aviation turbine fuel is used in almost all of the flights that take off from Hamburg Airport, while our heating oil ensures 250,000 homes situated between Flensburg and Hamburg have all the warmth they need.
Nearly 70% of the crude oil is used for fuel production. However, we are also a chemicals company and manufacture around 450,000 tonnes of petrochemical products a year, turning benzene, toluene and sulphur into detergents, fertiliser, tyres and interior panelling for cars.
We guarantee mobility and heat supply for northern Germany.
We see ourselves as a company that has transparent practices, with a desire for constant self-improvement. We view change as opportunity and are open to suggestions as well as criticism both from within and outside the company.
Further development of our staff, work processes, and products and services ensures the efficiency of our business. In this regard, we pay attention to technical safety and environmental sustainability. As an independent member of the Oil division within the Group, we support the success of all our affiliated companies, customers and employees with our ideas and our willingness to cooperate.
- Technical director and spokesperson for the management
- Studied mechanical engineering at the University of Hanover, specialising in energy engineering and process engineering.
- Worked for the Shell Group from 1989–2010 in a variety of posts both in Germany and abroad.
- Plant manager from 2007 onwards at Raffinerie Heide in Hemmingstedt.
- Appointment as managing director with the purchase of the company in November 2010 by the Klesch Group.
- Commercial Director
- Studied industrial engineering at the University of Applied Sciences Osnabrück.
- Held various positions from 2000–2007 in the Lingen refinery belonging to the BP Group.
- Took on various leading roles from 2007–2012 in the Finance department at OMV Petrom S.A., a 51% subsidiary of Austria’s OMV AG.
The Wattolümpiade in Brunsbüttel Raffinerie Heide supports the Wattolümpiade in Brunsbüttel as one of the main sponsors
The Wattolümpiade (Mud Olympics) have been taking place every summer by the estuary of the River Elbe in Schleswig-Holstein for more than ten years now, under the motto of ‘dirty sport for a clean cause’. The games were originally started as a joke by the Verein der Freunde und Förderer der Wattolümpiade in Brunsbüttel e.V. (Association for the Friends and Supporters of the Mud Olympics in Brunsbüttel) but have since turned into a spectacular event.